NHBC Technical Guidance
The new technical guidance issued by the NHBC this year affects spandrel and gable panels. While larger house-builders with technical departments are ahead of the game, many smaller and regional players have been working with our Design team to ensure they can comply with these standards. All spandrel panels delivered by Robinson Manufacturing are now compliant with these new standards. The core points for house-builders are as follows:
- The minimum build up of blockwork below panel on traditional build must be a minimum of 300mm but must always be higher than the top of the insulation.
- Built up blockwork to be restrained with gable straps at 2m centres.
- Bottom chord of spandrel and gable panel to be restrained horizontally with straps at 1200mm centres.
- Bottom chord of spandrel and gable panel to be restrained vertically with flat straps at 1200mm centres.
- Rafter of gable panel to be restrained horizontally with twist strap where a gable ladder is not present.
- Spandrel panels to be restrained on both sides by bracing fixed to noggins secured to panels.
- Timber ledger to be fitted between last truss and blockwork to pick up plasterboard.
For more information or to discuss how this new NHBC Technical Guidance may affect your build, please call our Design team on 01933 279597.