As you may be aware, the NHBC have released new technical guidelines regarding the construction and site installation of spandrel panels and gable panels.
NHBC TECHNICAL GUIDANCE – Spandrel Panels to Cold Roofs
The main points to be aware of are as follows:
- The minimum build up of blockwork below panel on traditional build must be 300mm but must always be higher than the top of the insulation.
- Built up blockwork to be restrained with gable straps at 2m centres.
- Bottom chord of spandrel and gable panel to be restrained horizontally with twist straps at 1200mm centres.
- Bottom chord of spandrel and gable panel to be restrained vertically with flat straps at 1200mm centres.
- Rafter of gable panel to be restrained horizontally with twist strap where a gable ladder is not present.
- Spandrel panels to be restrained on both sides by bracing fixed to noggins secured to panels.
- Timber ledger to be fitted along bottom chord of all panels to pick up plasterboard.
All Spandrel Panels delivered by Robinson Manufacturing from March 1st 2018 will be compliant with these new standards. As a result we are asking customers to confirm whether they want to follow these guidelines on all sites where panels are currently being used and what they would like their minimum build-up of blockwork to be.
If you have any questions about the impact of these new guidelines, please contact our design team on 01933 279597.