What are the benefits of Metal Web Joists?
Metal web joists floor systems, with open web design, are the most versatile floor joist in the market and is widely used by housebuilders and commercial property developers across the UK.
Also known as Ecojoists® or Spacejoists, not only does it allow for the easy installation of services and mechanical heat recovery systems, it also offers the best acoustic performance comfortably outperforming all UK building regulations.
Metal web joists consist of parallel stress timber flanges joined with engineered V-shaped steel webs with nailplated zones. The result is an easy to install floor and flat roof system, and with its open web design, enables fast fixing of plumbing and electrical infrastructure.
Our Metal web joists are assembled into various steel web formats to suit individual building’s characteristics, as incorporated into plans by our industry leading design team. We renew manufacturing processes at our factories regularly to utilise modern technology, offering nationwide delivery with competitive lead times.
Metal web joists are becoming a popular option for their time saving properties on site, with other benefits outlined below:
Metal Web Joists Key Benefits
- Open web system – No need to notch or drill for pipes and cables!
- Sizes are compatible with those of solid joists – No need for expensive drawing changes!
- Lends itself for use in heat recovery systems (complying with code 4).
- Virtual elimination of shrinkage – No more call backs!
- Joists are made to measure – No site wastage!
- Retrospective installation of additional services with minimum disruption.
- 40% lighter than equivalent solid joists – easier handling on site.
- Wide surfaces – easy flooring and plasterboard fixing.
- Long continuous spans are ideal for flat roofs and eliminate the need for intermediate support walls.
- Compatible with under floor heating systems.
- Work with all standard fitting techniques and fixtures.
- Designed to be compatible in size with solid timber sizes and brickwork.
- Can be top chord supported – reducing the amount of metalwork required
More questions? See our Metal Web Joist FAQ.
If you have a development project you’d like to talk to our timber frame team about, email email@example.com or call us on 01933 279597.