Robinson Manufacturing have recently completed designs for a block of fifteen three and four bedroom flats in at Windmill Park Corner in Mitcham. Our part of the project was to design and supply the joists for ground floor, first floor and second floors of the South London development, for our customer, T E Design and Build.
The customer’s development will see this part of former Windmill Trading Estate becoming a three storey masonry and render contemporary design with a fourth floor set back as a penthouse style arrangement, subordinate to the three storey main element under.
The development would be made up of 20 units, some for open-market sale and others for affordable homes. These twenty units would be made up as follows:
- 4 x 3 storey 3 bedroom townhouses
- 2 x 1 bedroom apartments
- 9 x 2 bedroom apartments
- 4 x 3 bedroom apartments
- 1 x 4 bedroom apartments
Details of the challenges of the job included:
- 220 Deep JJI Joists.
- Incorporating a vast amount of steels, used for internal support.
- Using 400mm and 600mm Centres.
- Joists built in to external walls where needed
- Joists were on hangers to steel Beams using HUH
- Loadings allowed were – Flats up to 4 storeys including Partitions (imposed “Live Load” 1.5Kn/m2) (Dead Load 1.15 Kn/m2)
- Total of 1258 sheets of chipboard (almost 20 packs), requiring 252 1L bottles of D4 Glue.